CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

From:
Quoc Thang Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2013 12:47:51 -0800

Dear Oliver,

I was also confused by the literature on Evans Blue fluorescence. Strangely, the best combination for the optics on a good old MRC-1024 was to use an excitation of 568 nm and a 585 nm dichroic. This allowed visualizing motoneurons retrogradely labeled with Evans Blue that was previously injected in the muscle. See the following papers for some images:

Nguyen et al. (2004) J. Physiol. 556, 203-219
Nguyen and Kleinfeld (2005) Neuron 45, 447-457

Maybe the fluorescence depends on where Evans Blue is bound. Also, I could not get any two-photon images with Evans Blue with the same specimens, owing possibly to the symmetrical structure of Evans Blue that would preclude multiphoton excitation.

Hope this helps.

Quoc Thang Nguyen