CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

From:
"Smith, Benjamin E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 21:36:14 +0000

We have four 2200mAH TrippLite SMART UPSs running our confocal.  The argon laser alone requires its own 2200mAH UPS, one for the multi-photon laser, one for the FLIM system, and one for the remaining computer and electronics.  In this configuration, you have about 8 minutes to start shutting things down from lasers blazing.  Once you get the lasers off, the time bumps up to about 30-40 minutes.  The nice thing about the SMART UPSs is that they also connect to the computer through a USB cable, so I have it setup so that the computer emails me if a UPS trips, and also if the UPS reaches the end of its battery, it will automatically start sequentially shutting off different pieces of equipment, to ensure a relatively safe powering down.  We've had the power go out several times, including once during an over-night live imaging run, and everything shut down safely, so the system does work.

Cheers,
   Ben Smith

Benjamin E. Smith, Ph.D.
Samuel Roberts Noble Microscopy Laboratory
Research Scientist II
University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK 73019
E-mail: [log in to unmask]