CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2014

From:
Bruce Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:21:09 -0500

As Nuno suggested, getting (securely) on the network is probably the first step. Then, depending on your institution's network & computer access policies (i.e., does everyone have a password to get on to shared computers,wireless, etc.?), getting onto the network would probably allow you to have IT set up a specific domain to which you could join the computer, which would automatically use the institutional login name and password to log onto your computer (there are also ways to do that and ONLY allow specific permissions using that institutionally-assigned password to access the microscope computer, e.g., trained users). While this requires a slight bit of (IT) setup, you would never have to enter a single new username (unless you wanted to restrict access to specific people), and you don't have to deal with lost passwords etc. We do this for multiple Core Facility computers here, including Confocal microscopes.

If you put antivirus software onto the computer, and especially if the computer is inside an institutional firewall, there really is less to worry about having it connected to the network than there is having people using USB sticks (not at all guaranteed to be virus-free) to transfer their data. You can still set your update policies to "Manual" or otherwise arrange with IT to NOT have updates forced onto the computer, if that is another source of concern for putting the computer onto the network.

Once you have either done the above to set up institutional username/password logins to the computer (or entered all the usernames and passwords yourself), then it is a simple matter to get reports out of who has logged on and logged off the computer when, for example with a windows computer using a PowerShell script like the one at http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Log-Parser-to-Identify-8aac36bd or http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Find-user-logon-duration-667b8c48 (a good reference for using PowerShell scripts is at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee176949.aspx).

If it is a Mac computer, just use Terminal and the command like "last >>~/Desktop/userlogfile.log" to append the list of logon-logoff activity to a file userlogfile.log on your desktop, or "ac -p >>~/Desktop/CumulUserTime.log" to get a summary of each users cumulative logon times appended to a file CumulUserTime.log on your desktop. There are also various perl and other scripts to harvest logon information from Linux computers as well, you would just have to search a bit.

You can also set any of these up so that you could remotely gather that information and store it on another computer, or have an administrative person gather that information remotely each month for billing purposes.

Only real problem with any of this is making sure that people logoff when they are finished….

 --Bruce
Bruce A. Stanley, Ph.D.
Director, Scientific Programs
Section of Research Resources H093, Room C1734
Director, Mass Spectrometry and Proteomics Facility
Co-Director, CTSI Translational Technologies Core Services Unit (TTCSU)
Penn State College of Medicine
500 University Drive
Hershey, PA 17033-2390
Office/Lab: (717) 531-5329
FAX:          (717) 531-0239
Email:        [log in to unmask]
WEB page:
http://med.psu.edu/web/core/bruce-stanley-research
*****E-Mail Confidentiality Notice*****
This message (including any attachments) contains information intended for a specific individual(s) and purpose that may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure pursuant to applicable law.  Any inappropriate use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalty.  If you have received this transmission in error, please reply to the sender indicating this error and delete the transmission from your system immediately.