CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2014

From:
Arvydas Matiukas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:16:12 -0400

Dear Core Managers/Directors:

Please share how you manage users/configurations and track usage
on confocal systems. Specifically I am interested in
systems using ZEN software which does not have
built-in multiuser/tracking capabilities.

We just moved to new building so there is good reason to
improve management of two confocal systems running ZEN
(one is new and one upgraded from AIM).
I already installed following features:
1. online calendar to book time
2.  card access to the confocal rooms
3.  Greyware logon monitor to record username and logon/logoff time.

I consider creating windows account for each lab. This will
allow to monitor usage using Greyware. Please advise if there
are other simple and efficient ways to track usage as well as
set different confocal configurations for differing users.

Finally, to fight dust/dirt we consider requiring to change shoes
before entering the confocal rooms, and placing sticky/static
mats outside (to trap dust from footwear). Maybe somebody is
using such mats and can advise on the brand/model.

Thanks,
Arvydas

Arvydas Matiukas, Ph.D.
Director of Confocal&Two-Photon Core