CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2014

From:
phil laissue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 23:51:40 +0000

Steffen Dietzl mentioned this a while ago in a lab class discussion:

"There used to be a paper microscope with plastic lenses on the German
market, for about 10-15 Euro (ISBN 3935364083) but the assembly took a
little long for the course (4-6 h), so I dropped that. It did deliver a
surprisingly good quality though."

That was the first time I read about paper microscopes.

With the same motivation as Manu Prakash, a nice paper here, using the
halogen lamp for fluorescence:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0031638

and surely also relevant for a minimal-cost microscopy approach (but on the
other side of the eyepiece):
http://www.malariajournal.com/content/11/1/352

Philippe Laissue, PhD, Bioimaging Manager
School of Biological Sciences, Room 4.17
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK
(0044) 01206 872246 / (0044) 07842 676 456
privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~plaissue