CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2014

Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2014 08:33:20 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Arvydas Matiukas <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Core Managers and Directors,

This spring I asked about protecting microscopes from dust/dirt,
and got some useful suggestions (included at the end).

Now at Upstate New York winter is starting with quite some snow
accumulating (8 foot as recently in Buffalo is an exception :). Along
with the snow there goes SALT, which sticks to to the shoes and is
quite efficiently transported inside the building, and to some extent to
microscopy rooms, and eventually may get  on the optics.

The big question is how to prevent the road/sidewalk sprayed salt
from being actively transported to the microscopy rooms? I wonder
how efficient the Craig suggested sticky mat would be on large salt
grains. After discussion at the Microscopy Committee we  decided
 during the winter (i.e. salt spraying ) season to request the Core users
to put on disposable shoe covers (as used in surgery rooms, priced
at 5 cent). Please share your experience on these or similar measures.

Additionally please advise on the posting that should be polite and would
not turn away the users, however, at the same time would  clearly and strictly request putting on shoe covers before entering the microscopy rooms.

Thanks,
Arvydas

previous suggestions regarding general dust/dirt included below
Subject:Re: Managing multiple usersFrom:Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>Reply-To:Confocal Microscopy List <[log in to unmask]>Date:Thu, 27 Mar 2014 16:54:32 -0600Content-Type:text/plain
I use the 3M Clean Walk mat:http://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=2862http://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Clean-Walk-Mat-2GJJ4It helps somewhat, but you have to remember to peel off fresh sheets fairlyfrequently.Craig BrideauOn Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Cromey, Douglas W - (dcromey)  wrote:>> Regarding the sticky mats, you could ask the histology lab in a nearby> hospital.  Many use them to keep the paraffin wax from being tracked out of> the lab and creating a hallway slipping hazard.>> Doug>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^> Douglas W. Cromey, M.S. - Associate Scientific Investigator> Dept. of Cellular & Molecular Medicine, University of Arizona> 1501 N. Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ  85724-5044 USA>> office:  AHSC 4212         email: [log in to unmask]> voice:  520-626-2824       fax:  520-626-2097>> http://swehsc.pharmacy.arizona.edu/micro> Home of: "Microscopy and Imaging Resources on the WWW">> UA Microscopy Alliance -  http://microscopy.arizona.eduArvydas Matiukas, Ph.D.
Director of Confocal&Two-Photon Imaging Core Facility
Department of Neuroscience and Physiology
SUNY Upstate Medical University