CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2014

Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:28:37 +0000
From:
"Watkins, Simon C" <[log in to unmask]>
base64
Sender:
Reflecting on Davids comment.  We use the Optera extensively... we have 6 of them.. However  all  are run under NIS elements not the Bruker/Prairie software.  We also have 2 Yokagawa scan heads which we rarely use because of the vast difference in performance and flexibility.  The Optera scan head has many advantages over the spinning disk approach.  Firstly the core technology is an array of pinholes or slits which means you can change between multiple different pinholes and slits (7 in total) to adapt confocality to objective NA and specimen brightness (in other words you can go fast imaging dim specimens if you are willing to make compromises in confocality).   Secondly it is not just a disk spinning in a box.   When it is appropriately integrated with piezo Z, TTL control and a decent laser launch it becomes an incredibly powerful imaging platform.  As I said I cannot comment on the current version of the Bruker/PrairieView software as we are firmly embedded in the Nikon platform which runs it beautifully and flexibly, but as a high speed confocal I do not think there is any other real competition.

Simon C. Watkins Ph.D, FRC Path
Distinguished Professor and Vice Chair Cell Biology
Professor Immunology
Director Center for Biologic Imaging
BSTS 225
University of Pittsburgh