CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2015

From:
Zdenek Svindrych <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2015 19:22:10 +0100

Hi Christophe,
congratulations for choosing widefield!

You don't need any z-sampling. A single image contains the fluorescence from
the whole nucleus, as long as the nucleus is at least approximately in focus
and the signal does not overlap with the fluorescence from other nuclei.

You may try it yourself - take a z-stack of a single nucleus in your FOV,
the total fluorescence should be constant over a fairly wide range of
defocus (of course you need to include all the fluorescence, including the
out-of-focus blur).

Depending on the intensity, size and density of your nuclei, you might
benefit from lower NA objective (you'll get lower intensity, but also less
blur).
Best, zdenek

Btw, not a silly question at all!

--
Zdenek Svindrych, Ph.D.
W.M. Keck Center for Cellular Imaging (PLSB 003)