CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2015

From:
Martin Wessendorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2015 09:06:40 -0600

George et al.--

On 2/22/2015 11:31 PM, George McNamara wrote:

> I encourage everyone on the listserv to read Bradbury et al's comment
> in Nature, and to pass it on to your colleagues who use antibodies and
> similar reagents.
>
> full text is freely available at
>
> http://www.nature.com/news/reproducibility-standardize-antibodies-used-in-research-1.16827

> *To save millions of dollars and dramatically improve reproducibility,
> protein-binding reagents must be defined by their sequences and
> produced as recombinant proteins, say Andrew Bradbury, Andreas
> Plückthun and 110 co-signatories.*

Interesting idea, as long as you aren't doing research in an area for
which the soon-to-be required recombinant antibodies aren't available.

To quote from the article, "If these steps are taken, scientists will
not want to use unsequenced binding reagents, and the absence of
sequencing information will lead to market disadvantages for vendors.
The uncharacterized, unsequenced research antibody will become
obsolete."  --This proposal could have the effect of forcing most all
biomedical research down a set of predetermined, prescribed channels.
Their goal is worth, but this policy strikes me as likely to have some
unintended bad consequences.

Martin Wessendorf

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991