CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2015

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2015 08:14:33 -0600

The Ellis light scrambler might be detailed in one or both editions of
Video Microscopy (Inoue, or Inoue and Spring). Shinya's "super-scope" is
shown in figures 3-13 and 3-14 (pages 159 and 160) of I&S ... go to

http://www.amazon.com/Video-Microscopy-Fundamentals-Language-Science/dp/0306455315

select "Look inside" and search for "light scrambler" (no quotes).

note: the Ellis light scrambler was mostly used to provide Shinya with
homogenous illumination for his transmitted light work, such as
polarization microscopy.

You can also look for scrambler in Shinya's collected works:

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Works-Shinya-Inou%C3%A9-Microscopes/dp/9812703888

See 3rd hit (page 500 of collected works = page 393 of the paper), also
the page 835 ("we found it necessary to add another single optical fibre
scrambler").

Page 979 mentions Robert A. Knudson of Technical Video, Ltd, as the
supplier of the Fiberoptic Light Scrambler. The LFW Buyer's Guide has
this web page:
http://buyersguide.laserfocusworld.com/technical-video-ltd.html
though the web site they list www.technicalvideo.com
<http://www.technicalvideo.com/>   looks informational only (so far).

George
p.s. page 978 of Collected Works refers to two generations of Shinya's
"super-scope" as "Shinya Scope 5" and "Shinya Scope 6", page 979 for
"Shinya Scope-7". I also encourage taking a spin down memory lane by
reading about the Centrifuge Polarizing Microscope section that starts
at the bottom of page 979.

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.
Single Cells Analyst