CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2015

From:
Michael Giacomelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2015 14:40:35 -0500

Hi Peter

The 37dB ACA model is worth trying, although its not really ideal.
Just be careful with source capacitance and cabling or you will get
oscillation because of the extremely high gain bandwidth product.  Was
really hoping someone would point out something better suited though.

GVD in typical 50 ohm RG-58 cables usually isn't a huge problem
because the attenuation is low enough below 1GHz and most timing
applications aren't sensitive at that level, so if you match cable
lengths, your pulse and timing will be relatively unaffected.  GVD
becomes problematic near frequencies with attenuation, so it tends to
be a bigger problem if you add filters to a system (or amplifiers with
too little bandwidth).  If you buy the ACA and intend to lowpass
filter it, look carefully at the minicircuits datasheets before
ordering, they are quite good about specing those things.  If you're
running impedance mismatched (e.g. 50kOhm terminating resistor), you
are just trading off bandwidth for a larger signal.

Mike