CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2017

From:
"Kilgore, Jason A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2017 01:31:00 +0000

This is true for most PVA or Mowiol based aqueous mountants meant to be coverslipped.  They constrict a bit when curing, leading to air pockets along the edges of the coverslip.  The thicker the mount, the more pronounced the effect.  With just a drop under a coverslip, it isn't usually noticeable.  But for thick mounts, like yours, it is a problem.

The solution is to seal the edges with more of the same mountant, or to mount it such that there is excess outside of the edges.  That way, when it constricts, it just pulls in the excess.  If you want it to look "neat", then you would use a pen knife or razor blade edge to cut away the excess AFTER it has fully cured (a couple days later).

Nail polish or wax won't help since it won't "mesh" with the PVA or mowiol.

On a related note, if you see tiny bubbles appearing just on the tissue, then this is a different cause:  air trapped in the section is squeezed out when the mountant cures and constricts.  The solution to this is, just prior to mounting, have the slide and section in PBS in a Coplin jar in a vacuum bell and pull a low vacuum on it to gently pull out the air for ten minutes or so, then release the vacuum and mount.

Cheers,

Jason