CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2017

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2017 09:31:50 +0100

How about if you cast a really bad agarose gel? The type of thing the
students are warned to use because the DNA might get different speeds in
different lanes, not thoroughly heated in the microwave, with 'lenses'
inside. If you have a molecular biology lab nearby, they could make you
one and then you could cut out the interesting, messed up areas. You
also could mix different concentrations shortly before they become solid.

You probably already thought of (and discarded the idea of) a biological
sample, right?

Steffen

Am 03.02.2017 um 23:56 schrieb Marc Reinig:
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> I want to create a mixture of materials with different indexes of refraction to be used in testing adaptive optics performance.  Ideally, they should be compatible with each other (i.e. not oil and water) and without strong refractive edges like glass beads.
>
> Is there a gel or some material I can vary the refractive index of and then layer and stir slightly to mix without homogenizing the solution and let it set so the various swirls would retain some integrity?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Marco
> Marc Reinig
> Keck Center for Adaptive Optical Microscopy

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Biomedical Center (BMC)
Head of the Core Facility Bioimaging