CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2017

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2017 08:54:17 -0800

There are some other types of cross-linking fixatives.  1-ethyl-3-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)carbodiimide (EDC) cross-links amino groups to carboxyl groups.  I tried it several years ago to immobilize Alexa 594 iontophoresed into patch-clamped neurons, I think our results got used in a poster, but never published.
EDC appeared to immobilize Alexa594 for at least 2 weeks, then the dye began diffusing.

Blended fixatives of 104 mM EDC in PBS + 4% paraformaldehyde or 52 mM EDC + 2%  paraformaldehyde were created  just before use.
400 um avian brainstem slices were incubated overnight at 4 degrees then washed in PBS.

EDC refs: Thomas, J.O., Sternberg, N., and Weisberg, R. (1978), J Mol. Biol; 123(2):149-161,  Altered Arrangement of the DNA in Injection-defective Lambda Barcteriophage.

Willingham, M.C., Yamada, S.S., Pastan, I, (1978), Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 75(9):4359-4363, Ultrastructural antibody localization of alpha2-macroglobulin in membrane-limited vesicles in cultured cells.
Glen MacDonald
Digital Microscopy Center
Box 357923
University of Washington