CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1994

From:
Kees van der Wulp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 1994 10:38:17 +0100
>On Fri, 17 Jun 1994 17:15:13 EST
>Tim Noblitt wrote :
>

>Hello all
>
>     Does anyone have suggestions on software packages that would be extremely
>useful for image annotation, manipultion, enhancement, etc.  I've been told
>that Adobe Photoshop is good.  Any comments on this or other packages.
>
>P.S. Either IBM or SGI platforms only.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Tim Noblitt

Dear Tim,

For about 3 years now I use the SCIL-Image image processing package
which runs on various platforms. My machine is a SGI Personal Iris
4D/35 (an older one as you see).
Let me give you some information on the package.

SCIL_Image is an extensible image processing (development) environment that
uses a C-interpreter as a front-end on top of which a command expander,
a command line and a menu & dialog system are situated.

It supports various image types: grey_valued, binary, full color,
floating point, complex (all in 2D and 3D). It has a large amount of image
processing, manipulation, enhancement and measurement commands.
With respect to your image annotation problem, this package
supports a few file formats like the ICS format, TIFF, TCL (this
is an old format for compatibility with its earlier TCL-Image
versions) and the AIM format (only for reading files, for historical
reasons).
In ICS format binary, grey value, floating point and complex image
types can be read and written.
I think this format solves your problem because when you write a file
in ICS format you actually write 2 files, one file containing the data
(pixels) of the image and the other file contains extensive header
information such as image size, image name, instument settings,
biological sample information (owner, staining, ...), recording
instrument etc. etc.

Any missing specific image processing routines can easily be added
in either interpreted or compiled form.
By the end of this year a true 3D image processing routine library
is available for this package from the Delft Technical University.

You can work with this package on various user levels, as a beginner
using the mouse driven menu or with the command interpreter option,
and as a professionalwriting your own "C" routines for processing.

SCIL_Image (SCIL = Standard C Interpreter Language, Image = library
with image processing routines) runs on the mayor Unix systems
(Sun, SGI, HP, IBM, Dec), Apple Macintosh and IBM-PC (Windows 3.1 & NT)
The package has been developed and is still under development by
3 Dutch universities.

Further information regarding prices university discounts and/or
demo-versions (full functionality, limited time) can be requested
through email from "[log in to unmask]".

--
Kees van der Wulp
TNO - Nutrition & Food Research Institute       INTERNET : [log in to unmask]