CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 1994

From:
Mikael Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 09:18:57 +0100
>Is there a software package (reasonably priced) that can be used to
>manipulate images on a PC based system such that plates of multiple
>images can be assembled and annotated?  I am currently using Corel Draw,
>but I find it to be painfully slow (on a 486-66) when images get to be more
>than 4 MB in size.
>
>                        Kem Rogers
>                        University of Western Ontario

Hi!

Handling images as large as 4 MB IS slow on any system, even on our silicon
graphics system. However, on a PC, usually a considerable speed gain can be
obtained by using a fast harddisk such as an enhanced IDE with local bus
attachment. This change alone can increase the speed by more than a factor
of three if You are currently using a IDE in a ISA bus PC...
Moreover, lots of RAM will help as usual.
Personally I use a simple and cheap program, named 'desktop imager', for
arranging and printing images on the PC.

Mikael Gustafsson
Dept Med. Microbiology
University of Linkvping
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]