CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1995

Sender:
From:
"Stamatis N. Pagakis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 12:58:00 +0000
On Fri, 27 Jan 1995, Zbigniew Iwinski wrote:

>         >> variable 'save to disk' frequency?
>
>         > Good question. I know some representetives from zeiss are subscribers
>         > and perhaps they are willing to take up this question. However, it is
>         > my understanding that you have to choose either "host memory" and then
>         > to disk, or directly to disk. Obviously the first would be faster.
>
>         Your understanding and explaination are correct.
>         One has a choice during data acquisition to store images in the image
>         memory (frame grabber memory-the fastest), computer memory or
>         directly to the disk (the slowest). In the first two cases to store
>         images permanently one has to save them to the disk afterwards. The
>         speed depends on the image size (which is selectable) and say for images
>         of 512x64 one can acquire 15 frames per second in the image memory.
>
> Regards,
>
> Buddy Bossmann                  Tom Connelly                   Zbigniew Iwinski
> Product Manager                 National Sales Manager         Systems Engineer
> Laser Scan Microscopes          Microscope Systems             Micro Systems
> Carl Zeiss Inc.

Since i originated the question, about the
>> variable 'save to disk' frequency?
I would like to make clear what I meant, since it has not been
answered.  In many experiments one does not need all the image data. Does
the zeiss software allow to extract data from ROIs, as the experiment is
progressing, and only keep every, for example, 5th or 10th image?  This
saves both time
(usually integrating a few thousand pixels is faster than saving
the whole image), disk space and allows the experiments to run longer
(not running out of disk space or image memory).

thanks,

Stamatis Pagakis, Ph.D.
University Laboratory of Physiology
University of Oxford, Parks Rd.                FAX:  +44 (0)865 272469
Oxford OX1 3PT,   United Kingdom               Tel:  +44 (0)865 272434