CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1995

Sender:
From:
Danny Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 08:47:38 +1000
Margaret Fransen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Curiously, I was about to post the same problem. We use the coreldrive
>software, which fixes things temporarily, but this is a pain. Is this
>just the nature of the medium?

we also get this a few times per year. Our config is Adaptec 1542B SCSI
controller, CorelSCSI, and an Epson OMD5010 128M MO drive. What happens is
that the drive light flashes forever. You can't eject the disk, but I don't
think the drive is doing anything. My gut feeling is that it's a problem
with the drive itself getting into some crazy state that only power-cyling
recovers from (just restarting the PC which generates a SCSI reset doesn't
help).
   wrt to directory corruption such as cross-linked files, while we have
seen this happen to disks stuck in drives as in the above paragraph, this
can happen on any type of disk. We therefore recommend users occasionally
run chkdsk (Norton for our Mac disks). Apart from encouraging users to keep
duplicate disks, we should provide a service whereby they can loan us their
original disks while we take them over to the computer centre and copy them
to CDROM. We have much greater faith in the long-term stability of optical
disks & CDROMs over the cheaper and easier alternative of using DAT tapes
for archiving.

cheers,
Danny Thomas  ([log in to unmask])