CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1995

Sender:
From:
Harry Leung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 1995 11:37:54 -0500
On Fri, 13 Jan 1995, John Warrack-1 wrote:

> I am using an MRC-600 with a Panasonic optical disk drive, using WORM or
> Phase-change rewriteable disks, and generally collect data sets directly to
> this drive. Every so often during a write, I get a lock-up which is only cured
> by switching the OD drive off and back on. I also get occasional savage
> crosslinking of files which results in trashed data.
> The problem seems worst with WORMS. Any ideas of where to look for a solution
> to this problem?

> Smithkline Beecham
> UK

I had exactly the same problem before.  The answer is simple, but took me
three years to find out. (BioRad said I need new drive).

1. There is dust or scratch mark on the disk.
2. There is dust or scratch mark on the lens of the drive.

Dust on disk:
Slide open the spring loaded window to check the surface of the disk.
Note that the label on the cartridge is reverse with reference to the
actual disk surface.  (ie. to check side A, you should check the side
that labels side B on the cartridge).  Blow off any dust with "Dust-Off" or
other clean air.  If the disk is scratched, you need new disk.

Dust on lens of the drive:
For those who do not want to open up the drive, you can sent it back to
Panasonic for cleaning. (about half-an-hour job).  If you want to
clean the lens yourself, never use any solvent base cleaner as it shortens
the life of the drive belt.
Panasonic sells a lens cleaning cartridge.  By inserting it into the
drive, it cleans the lens with its fine hair brushes. However, it won't
work if there is heavy dust built up.

In my opinion, until a better storage medium comes up, the optical disk is
still the best choice.
Harry Leung,
Technical Officer, Electron Microscopy & Confocal Microscopy,
Zoology Dept., University of Western Ontario, London, Ont., Canada. N6A 5B7
Tel: 519-679-2111 x6733  fax: 519-661-2014
E-mail: [log in to unmask]