CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1995

Sender:
From:
"Samuel A. Tesfai" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 12:47:09 EST
>Could you please elaborate on this?
>ie  Subtract backgrounds before ratioing?

The ratioing formula that comes bundled with Zeiss software does not include
background subtraction. However, this is something one can write a MACRO
for. Good point.

>flexible image size?

Image size is flexible. We acquired 512x512 images and the display of the two
images and the ratio image was almost realtime.

>Ratio graph on the screen while acquiring?

Yes, however, this does slow down the process. Depending on how much RAM
you have on your system, the duration could be seconds (no SWAPPING), to
minutes if the  computaion requires swapping!

> variable 'save to disk'
frequency?

Good question. I know some representetives from zeiss are subscribers and
perhaps they are willing to take up this question. However, it is my under-
standing that you have to choose either "host memory" and then to disk, or
directly to disk. Obviously the first would be faster.

>Have you compared this feature to the similar ones of other confocals?

We have the Biorad-MRC600 and the Olympus GB200 systems. In general, the
zeiss is faster as far as acquisition. However this is unfair comparison
since the current Bio-rad system is the MRC 1000. As far as ratioing I
know the zeiss is faster than the olympus. This can be attributed to the
Matrox board on the zeiss that does all the computation.

sam.

Not a salesman, just stating the facts!!