CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1995

From:
Heinz Hemken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 16:42:06 CST
Regarding:

> I would be interested in corresponding with anyone who is researching the
> biology of Whole Cells of any type. This area studies cells as an
> integrated whole system, where cells are studied LIVE, WHOLE, AS
> INDIVIDUAL AND IN 3 DIMENSIONS just as they are in vivo. Its time cells
> are treated as individual funtional units. Nowhere is this more important
> than in the Brain which I concentrate on. I have developed a system to
> study neuronal and glial cell types of the brain under the above
> conditions with the ultimate goal of replicating in vivo cell functioning
> outside the body.
>
> Any "whole systems" cell biologists out there?
>
> Think globally, then locally.
>
> Marc C. Brande, M.S.       SD3D Email List:3D Imaging
> San Diego 3D Imaging Group To subscribe/unsubscribe:[log in to unmask]
> 3840 Camino Lindo          To post a message:[log in to unmask]
> San Diego, CA 92122        Email:[log in to unmask]   Voice:619-587-4830

This isn't a real direct equivalent to what you describe, but I'm setting up to do "cellular modeling", which I interpret to mean something like molecular modeling, in which primitive geometric forms coupled with structural parameters model some real properties. I'm not sure what your goals are, but I will only be modelling part of the cytoskeleton (the tubulin part), as well as the membrane (just as a volume delimiter). I'd love to hear comments, criticisms, etc., and would particularly like to receive bibliographic references on the matter. I agree that we are fast approaching a point where we can model whole cells via limited structural models which reflect some sort of real cell function. It's gonna take a HELL of a lot of RAM, though...

Heinz

Heinz Hemken
Departamento de Biologia Celular
CINVESTAV-IPN