CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1995

From:
Dave Knecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 22:14:25 EST
I guess I should weigh in on this since it was my problem that initiated the di
scussion.  I agree that BIorad makes a good instrument that has functioned extr
emely well for me over the years.  We have had to do minimal repair since we gt
ot it and so my experience with service is equally limited.  What has bothered
me has been the lack of direct support for those of us who jumped in and bought
 the systems early on and I suspect this goes for everyone.  Never has BIorad c
ontacted me and said, we have a new version of COMOS available that we can send
 you.  I have always found out by calling them about some other matter or just
to see if there is a new one.  This is such a simple thing to keep track of
their installed base (how large can it be?) and at least contact us once ni a w
hile about upgrades of hardware and software.  Did you all out there know that
there is a ftp site from which you can download software?  I found out by accid
ent.  It took me 4 phone calls to get the ftp address. (for those waiting with
baited breath, I don't have it at home so I am going to piss off Biorad and pos
t it tomorrow when I get in).
Secondly, I agree with everyone that the problem we encountered was not somethi
ng Biorad could have fixed over the phone.  The problem is that it took me 4 ph
one calls to get a recommendation for a PC to upgrade to and most of what I was
 told was simply wrong.  It is only because of this bboard (bless those who sta
rted this) that I found out that others had upgraded to a variety of PC's with
no specfic problems.  BIorad did not know that!! I will wager anyone who cares
that if someone calls BIorad with an upgrade problem in 6 months, they will not
 be told to try switching the board positions.  (BTW- I haven't tested but I am
 unconvinced that the problem was a bad slot or connector because the boards wo
rked perfectly with the keyboard.  It seems naively to me that they should simp
ly not have worked if the slot were bad.  I still think it is a wierd mouse/bus
 conflict but we will probably never know).  In reality I was not displease wit
h BIorad's lack of help because I had come to not expect any.
In support of BIorad, I will say that I think they make a great instrument whic
h I have been very happy with.  Considering the alternaitves at the time, and e
ven what is available now I am sure I made the right choice.  It is a mature in
strument that does the job.  I just hope they can get their support to match th
eir eqipment someday, but in the meantime I am glad I have all of you.  Dave