CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1995

From:
Feona Hansen-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 08:16:43 -0500
Lectins are not as specific as widely believed, ie, compared to
antibodies...there are a range of binding affinities by different sugars
for most lectins.  In particular, mannose is definitely not the only
sugar affinity for Con A.  Your ConA binding in the presence of mannose
may be due to one of the others.  You can find some likely candidates in
the carbohydrate chemistry literature.  The histochem. literature is not
particularly reliable for this type of screening.  If all else fails,
call one of the main labs working on lectins.  One possibility is Irwin
Goldstein's lab, Biochemistry, Univ. Michigan, Ann Arbor (don't know
phone number)....Good luck.