CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1995

From:
Gvran Ocklin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 17:01:41 -0400
>Dear confocalists..
>
>We are considering a Leica UV confocal, initially on an inverted microscope.
>A very useful (to us) capability, of this scope is that it can be moved to
>an upright microscope very easily.
>
>All our applications are physiological: Ionic imaging of single cells and
>thick tissue slices.  Unfortunately, the lenses Leica offers are
>unsuitable for our needs; They have no water immersion lenses in the
>40x-60x range for the inverted, neither dipping lenses for the upright.
>
>Leica says that it is possible to use both Zeiss and Olympus IC lenses on
>their system, with some small compromises, but they are not willing to
>discuss the problems. Has anyone out there tried this before or can
>comment on whether such "marriage" could be successful?
>
>Thank you,

>Stamatis Pagakis
>University Laboratory of Physiology            [log in to unmask]
>University of Oxford, Parks Rd.                FAX:  +44 (0)1865 272469
>Oxford OX1 3PT,   United Kingdom               Tel:  +44 (0)1865 272551

Yes, it should be possible eventhough the magnification might differ from what
is engraved on the lens due to differences in tube length between different
manufacturers. Tube lengths used are in the range 180-200 mm. IC lenses are
corrected for infinity tube length but still there is need for a practical tube
length, to be able to calculate focal distance and magnification.
Leica will deliver such a lens yuo asked for before the end of this year they
say.

Best regards from G. Ocklind