CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1995

From:
Richard Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 18:31:53 -0800
I may not have made it clear in my original post that I did NOT mean to
disparage Molecular Probes;  rather I think the people who use MP's
trade name (Texas Red) without thinking are being inconsistent.  I merely
used the occasion of the posting from Molecular Probes on the subject,
to address the issue of nomenclature.  Perhaps it was my fault I did not
make the issue clear enough in my post.

In my opinion it is a DISSERVICE to the scientific community for us, the
"scientists" (Not Molecular Probes; they can call it whatever they want),
to use a name suggesting it is only available from one supplier.  The fact
that most scientists would not recognize the name "sulforhodamine 101"
is precisely the problem.

Further, since for other dyes such as TMR we use  the term
"tetramethylrhodamine" rather than "tetramethylrhodaminesulfonyl
chloride" in the name of the conjugates,  in the same way it makes more
sense to refer to SR101 rather than "sulforhodamine 101 sulfonyl
chloride" (or its registered trademark equivalent) in describing the
conjugates of the latter dye.

If at this point anyone is still interested, read below.
Richard

>>> Jennifer Kramer <[log in to unmask]> 06/01/95 04:53pm >>>
Texas Red is our trademark name for the sulfonyl chloride derivative of
sulforhodamine 101.  They are not the same compound, and we do sell
sulforhodamine 101 under the name "sulforhodamine 101" (S-359).  The
trademark applies only to the sulfonyl choloride derivative, not to
sulforhodamine 101 itself.

Other companies sell the sulfonyl chloride derivative of sulforhodamine
101, but if they use the term "Texas Red" to compare their product to
ours, they have to note the term is a trademark of Molecular Probes.
They can't sell it as "Texas Red" unless they buy it from us for resale.

As far as I know, the spectral characteristics of sulforhodamine 101 are
virtually the same as those of Texas Red.  The main difference is that
Texas Red is reactive with amines and can be used to label proteins,
etc.  Sulforhodamine 101 is not reactive and is most commonly used as a
 polar tracer.

Texas Red was invented by the company president, Richard Haugland,
while  the company was still very small and located in Texas.
Unfortunately for  MP, the company was in the process of relocating to
Oregon when the  patent deadline for Texas Red had to be filed.
However, Dr. Haugland was  still able to file paperwork to get a
trademark on the name "Texas Red".

You are welcome to repost this answer to the confocal group if you feel
it clears up any confusion.

Jennifer Kramer
Molecular Probes, Inc.