CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1995

From:
Colin Smithpeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 15:12:30 -0500
>I was asked by a colleague and thought I would pass on two questions:
>1) Does anyone know how many confocal systems have been sold in Europe,
>the US, Japan, and the world?
>
>2) I anyone aware of current clinical applications for confocal microscopy.
>
>TIA (Thanks in advance not Transient Ischemia Attack)
>
>Paul Goodwin
>Image Analysis Lab
>FHCRC, Seattle, WA

Paul,
        Robert Webb's group has adapted a confocal microscope  for in-vivo
imaging of skin at video rates.  A paper containing a description of the
system and the resulting images was published in Investigative Dermatology,
v.104 n.6 June 1995.  I don't know if it is in the clinic yet, but I believe
several dermatologists want to use it to look at various stages of skin cancer.
Hope this helps,
Colin.
Colin Smithpeter ([log in to unmask])
Univ. of Texas-Austin