CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1995

Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 16:20:35 -0500
Many thanks for the responses to the query concerning beam diameter.  For
the curious, a beam diameter measurement (in the x-y plane) will be useful
to us because we are trying to measure punctate sources of fluorescence on
the cell surface (coated pits) and extrapolate the number of spots observed
to a whole cell surface.  For anyone who may have a similar need, a very
useful paper that I ran across since my initial posting  relates beam
diameter to pinhole setting specifically for the Bio-Rad MRC-600, 488 nm
excitation, 60X/1.4NA objective by measurement across a sharp gold edge -
see Petersen et al., Biophys. J. 65:1135-1146 [1993], Fig. 3.

Thanks again,
Jim Keen

James H. Keen, Professor
Dept. of Pharmacology and the