CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1995

From:
Charles Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 10:08:58 -0600
>Just work in a 37C room.  So long as it's dry it shouldn't hurt anything.
>You might want to pipe in cool air to your laser and pipe the exhaust out,
>but that just requires a few metres of flexible air-conditioning pipe.
>(Unless you prefer to use the laser to heat the room!)  The temperature
>here routinely reaches higher temperatures than that in summer and it
>doesn't seem to hurt our computers or monitors.

Our engineer designed a plexiglass box that fits over the microscope.  He
then coupled two blow-dryer heater/fan units to a thermocouple to make a
heater.  We can keep the box heated up to 45 degrees C without a problem.
We've also successfully been able to pipe in gas mixtures to work with
samples that need specific atmospheric conditions.  Since the box encloses
the microscope, it eliminates many of the heat-sink considerations that
make other heaters useless or impractical.

--
Charles Thomas
Integrated Microscopy Resource

** NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!! **