CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 1995

From:
Paul Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 21:30:32 -0700
Richard-

We have not seen any of those problems with our system. The Sedat/Agard
reiiterative constrained algorithm goes to great lengths to reduce
artifacts caused by the Fourier math. Of course, an image is only as good
as the original and the microscopy. This is why we currently prefer the
whole system solution that API is selling. The algorithm is only one part
of the whole process. In fact, our starting images on the deconvolution
system are often as good or better in resolution (and certainly better
signal-to-noise (s/n)) than our CSLM images. We have done the experiment of
grossly under exposing an image to see if artifactual "data" appears. All
that is seen is a systematic reduction in s/n.

We have recently hashed alot of the comparisons between confocal and
decon. Unless people want an update of our findings, I would suggest that
if you want more details that you contact me privately and I will send
you more details on what we have found. This way we will spare the masses
if they are not interested.

Paul Goodwin
Image Analysis Lab
FHCRC, Seattle, WA