CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1996

Sender:
From:
"Charles J. Butterick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 09:27:04 -0500
>On Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:12:58 -0700 HENRY P ADAMS wrote:
>
>> I run a multi-user microscopy facility and I have several investigators
>> interested in acquiring a LSCM. The problem is that they are equally
>> divided as to their needs,e.g. upright&inverted. So my question then is
>> it possible to purchase one system that could be switched between the
>two
>> platforms
>
>While the Leica has this capability, when we bought our confocal we couldn't
>come up with a need for an upright microscope, since the inverted
>platforms are more stable.  Asking around we found that virtually no one
>actually did switch.  So you will significantly broaden your choices if you
>find
>that you don't need the upright.

>Herbert M. Geller

We have one of the few Olympus LSM GB-200 systems, and possibly the only
one that has both inverted and upright capabilities (The Olympus system we
have is no longer marketed in the US).  The conversion time is 15-20
minutes with alignment.  The uses for the system would have been
considerably attentuated had we gone with just the inverted format. i.e.
it's kind of hard to use water immersion lenses in the inverted mode and
oil immersion is a pain.  STill, with compatible samples, the upright seems
a touch better than the inverted.

  Charles J. Butterick  (Chuck)
  Electron Microscopy Center
  Department of Cell Biology