CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1996

Sender:
From:
Dr Martin Hoppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 18:38:25 +-100
> We use the Leica TCS system, which allows us to mount a laser unit
> about the size of a shoebox) on either an inverted or upright
> microscope. However, Leica advises not to use the laser for about 4
> hours when changing microscopes. It is my experience that this puts
> a considerable restraint on the flexibility of the system.

      A  comment from Leica  (late, sorry.....)
All Leica TCS 4D Systems have a dual safety shutter system which

1. prevents Laser light from entering the scanner as soon as the control
    program (Scanware) is ended.

2. prevents Laser light from exiting the scanner even with the control
    program (Scanware) active, but the scanning process switched off.

If you switch SCANNING OFF as minimum safety precaution, there is no
possibility that laser light can exit the scanner port, so the laser can be
left ON safely during switchover between upright and inverted microscopes.
This means changeover can be made "on the fly" .

Concerning the note that you must leave the laser off for 4 hours: this is
a clear error in the manual :-( . It should be 4 MINUTES.....! Sorry! This
time is needed for older lasers to make sure that the laser re-ignites.
Lasers delivered today with TCS 4D Systems even do not have this limitation.

Best regards
Martin
Martin Hoppe, Ph.D.                              E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
VP Marketing/Sales                               WWW: http://www.llt.de
Leica Lasertechnik GmbH
Im Neuenheimer Feld 518                        Phone+49-6221-4148-0
D-69120 Heidelberg/Germany                  Fax    +49-6221-4148-33