CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1996

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 18:32:22 U
    My understanding of the Leica system was that it moved the stage, not the
objective lens and was therefore limited to a very light object stage.  The
inherent problem is the rapid movement, and then cessation of movement
(damping), of a relative large inertial mass. I think that we need to
investigate the possibility of using the piezo device on the objective lens.
This can be done, but I do not yet know what problems this will yield regarding
the light path.
  There was a recent announcement on this list of a new confocal microscope
from Olympus America called the FLUOVIEW.  The message said it had an "optional
piezo-electric stage/nosepiece".  Has anyone seen this new scope?  Willing to
comment on the piezo drive?  How much are they asking for the basic system?

  Please pass on to me (or to the List) any useful information--it will be
greatly appreciated.

Roger Adamson