CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1996

Sender:
From:
Richard Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 19:12:40 -0800
Scanalytics sells a deconvolution system with a piezoelectric objective
positioner; I don't know whether they manufacture it or if it's available
elsewhere.   I think I heard the travel is +/- 50 um.  Scanalytics is at

Richard
p.s. you might think Scanalytics pays me for all the times I've mentioned
their products for them:  it hasn't happened yet...

>>> adamson <[log in to unmask]> 01/03/96 06:32pm >>>
    My understanding of the Leica system was that it moved the stage,
not the objective lens and was therefore limited to a very light object
stage.  The inherent problem is the rapid movement, and then cessation
of movement
(damping), of a relative large inertial mass. I think that we need to
investigate the possibility of using the piezo device on the objective lens.
This can be done, but I do not yet know what problems this will yield
regarding the light path.
  There was a recent announcement on this list of a new confocal
microscope from Olympus America called the FLUOVIEW.  The message
said it had an "optional piezo-electric stage/nosepiece".  Has anyone
seen this new scope?  Willing to comment on the piezo drive?  How
much are they asking for the basic system?

  Please pass on to me (or to the List) any useful information--it will be
greatly appreciated.

Roger Adamson [log in to unmask]