CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1996

From:
Peter Klaren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Klaren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 16:27:56 +0000
Dear Sirs,

Having worked in the past with a BioRad MRC 600 LSCM system, for a
couple of weeks I am now trying to become familiar with your TCS4D
system. I am familiar with the theoretical background of confocal
imaging. The past few days, however, I have come across some
problems and questions for which I cannot find a solution in your
manuals.

As to the IRBE inverted microscope:
1. We swap one set of objectives between an upright and an inverted
microscope. Is it absolutely necessary to mount the objectives in
exactly the same position again on the turret?
2. What happens if you do not install the objectives (i.e. program
parfocality, etc.).
3. When I use the IRBE the message "SET?" appears on the LCD. There
is no explanation in the IRBE manual.
4. I am using a temperature controller on the microscope stage. Will
this hamper proper z-movements of the stage?

As to Scanware:
1. What do the different colors for the page ranges mean exactly?
2. What does IPP mean?
3. What is the difference between scanning in xt-mode and using the
ILQ package?
4. When do you select "series", and when do you select "continuous"
in the scan window?
5. What does the button "disk scan on" in the transfer window mean?
6. When exercising with the Heidelberg image: changing the user.lut
and pressing "set user" does not change the image. What's going
wrong?
7. Is there a way (besides using QuickStart) that I don't have to
manually organise the systems memory when loading and displaying
pictures?

Moreover, it seems that, shortly after installing the Scanware
software, the image file "folie" was removed from the system's hard
disk. I would like to use "folie" to become familiar with image
display. Could you send me a copy of this file?

I regret that the pages in your manual are not numbered. The manual
states that this was done on purpose, but I fail to see which
educational goal is served with this. A proper index and paged
numbers would make it so much easier to look up specific subjects.

Sincerely,

Dr P.H.M. Klaren

Peter H.M. Klaren                               phone: +44 114 2824633
Department of Biomedical Science                  fax: +44 114 2765413
University of Sheffield
Western Bank
Sheffield S10 2TN
England