CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1996

From:
Carl Zeiss AG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 13:08:05 +0100
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Carl Zeiss AG)
>Subject: water immersion objective for inverted microscopes
>Bcc:
>Dear Mr. Steinmeyer,
>
>there are two different kinds of water immersion lenses from Carl Zeiss.
One type of objectives is designed and developed for use in
electrophysiology done at upright microscopes. These lenses can be dipped
into the buffer and are inert.

>The second type is an C-Apochromat 40x/1.2 water, korr. This objective is
very useful for investigation of cell cultures in high resolution with
inverted microscopes. Cell cultures are grown in culture media or buffers
with an refractive index close to water (n=1.33). If you use an oil
immersion lens in this case there might be some distortions due to the
difference in the refractive index from the oil phase to the water phase.
This objective has a correction ring to adjust the actuall thickness of the
cover slip and a working distance of 220micrometer. This allows to go deep
into the culture without a loss of resolution an distortions. It is the best
solution for Ca-measurements in culture. Using the lens in combination with
thick plastic culture dishes is of course not reasonable. If you need more
detailed information do not hesitate to contact me again.