CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1996

Sender:
From:
"Robert J. Palmer Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:16:23 -0500
I suggest you find out who does your institutional computer-buying.  For
example, I can get a Mac 7500/100, 1G HD, CD, 16MB RAM for $2416.  A
comparable (ha ha) IBM (or Zenith, with whom we have a contract) configured
with Pentium 133, 16MB RAM, 1.2G HD, no CD (!) costs $2253.  Monitors and
other peripherals cost the same for any computer.  The days of Macs being
considerably more expensive than PCs are over for the general public and
have never even existed for academics at most institutions.  Just wanted to
get in my 2 cents worth before this entire thread is declared a "Mac vs PC
discussion" and is properly shutdown by our list administrator!!  In case
you hadn't guessed, I wholeheartedly agree with all the Mac supporters'
replies.  And, to throw another iron in the fire (under the
FearUncertaintyDoubt category previously mentioned in this thread),
consider this - What are the current Win 95 users going to do when
Microsoft starts to push its true multitasking system (some sort of NT/95
hybrid) within a year?  I guess its just another upgrade (sidegrade?!) like
moving from Win 3.1 to 95 (!!dream on!!).
Rob Palmer
Ctr Env Biotech/Univ Tenn