CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1996

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 10:01:31 +1000
Simon Watkins wrote:

>On the thread of what platform to use for image collection and analysis:
>
>We use a mix of machines, PC's(Pentiums), Macs(9500) and SGI's(Indigo2's)
>However, the platform and software chosen for each task varies: At the PC
>level, we made a significant investment in learning Optimas, and have
>written multiple acquisition and analysis macros for it, thus for routine
>image collection this is our "platform 'o choice".  This package, in common
>with the Media cybernetics product for example is relatively inexpensive and
>fairly full featured and intuitive to use.

When Optimas was half the price of anything comparable I guess it was a
smart choice but it does a lot of things incorrectly (the last time I
looked at it skeletonise didn't work properly, for example).  Now that
'real' image analysis systems from Leica and Kontron are software-only
packages at about the same price I can't see why you wouldn't buy one of
those.  They are both very impressive packages.

If you are dedicated to the Mac view of the world, why not use Prism?
It adds quite a bit over NIH Image and is reasonably priced.

                                                Guy Cox