CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1996

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 13:29:25 +1000

and Shingo Kashima wrote:

>I cannot believe the spot diameter is so big such as 0.21mm. I am afraid
>you wrote mm instead of um(^_^;). The theoretical spot diameter is
>calculated with the following expression:
>
>  theoretical spot diameter = (2*wavelength)/(Pi*NA)
>
>If you are using Ar laser(WL=488nm) and objectives with NA1.4, the
>theoretical spot diameter is (2*0.488)/(Pi*1.4) = 0.22um.
>The expression above is under assumption that the Gaussian beam diameter is
>equal to the pupil diameter of the objective, and if the Gaussian beam
>diameter is bigger than that of the objective, the spot size becomes
>smaller. The pupil diameter of 100x objective is smaller than that of 60x
>objective if both NAs are equal, and the Gaussian beam diameter from the
>laser is generally constant, therefore theoretical spot diameter of 100x
>objective is smaller than that of 60x. So I suppose these differences are
>caused by an error in measurement or the aberration of objectives.

My guess is that the 100x objective is NA 1.3 and the 60x is NA 1.4 -
that's certainly the case with ours.  This would explain the difference
and yes, you would (and do) get better resolution with the x60.
Our Zeiss x63 NA 1.4 gives a significantly better FWHM on 100nm
fluorescent beads than the 100x NA 1.3, though this may be in part because
the x63 is a plan-apo.

                                Guy Cox