CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1996

Sender:
From:
Lothar Blatter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 09:15:00 CST
In vivo calibration of fluorescent ion indicators:
 we have successfully applied the method of internal perfusion (via
patch pipette) with solutions of known calcium concentrations in
vascular smooth muscle several years ago (Wier & Blatter, Cell Calcium
12: 241-254, 1991). As has been pointed out by others, intracellular
binding of these dyes is one factor,among others, that might necessitate
in vivo calibrations for quatitative calcium measurements. Intracellular
binding of commonly used dyes can be substantial (Blatter& Wier, Biophys
Journal 58: 1491-1499, 1990).
 Lothar A. Blatter
 Dept. Physiology, Loyola University Chicago
 Maywood, IL 60153
 (708) 216-1182