CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1996

Sender:
From:
Harper Ian - EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 18:29:31 GMT-0200
> Dear Cell-Tak users:
>
> Where can I get the Cell-Tak and what is the protocol for coating the
> coverslip? Is it only
> available from Collborative Biomedicals? I tried to contact them twice to
> ask for a quotation but they NEVER respond to me.

Cell-Tak:
********
Collaborative BioMedical Products
2 Oak Park
Bedford, MA 01730
Tel: 617-275-0004
Fax: 617-275-0043
Contact: Fran Lindgren (Export Coordinator)..... she WILL get back to
you. As far as I know they are not on the Internet.
[NOTE: CBP is a Becton Dickinson company, so you could try both
companies.... I had to order via BD].

Coating: there is a comprehensive protocol shipped with the product.
If you order via Becton Dickinson, you may not get that protocol -
I did not get one from BD, (but I do have one from CBP.. if necessary
I can fax it to you). Cell-Tak basically comes in a 5% acetic acid
solution, and there are two methods of application:

1. Manual spreading: pread a small amount of the stock solution
(which is solubilised in 5% acetic acid) on the slide/coverglass,
leave to dry, wash in ethanol and water.

2. Adsorbtion. Upon raisng the pH to neutral the protein adsorbs to
the first surface it comes into contact with (the coverglass). Thus
to use, neutralise a small amount of  Cell-Tak with sodium
bicarbonate (0.1M) and coat the glass with that. After 30-60 min you can
rinse the coverslip and use it.

I recommend the latter. Used that way, it goes far,
is cheap, and better than laminin and other 'substrates' (our
experience with cardiac myocytes)..

Hope this helps.

Ian

Dr Ian Harper
Experimental Biology Programme
Medical Research Council
PO Box 19070              Tel: 027-21-938 0347
Tygerberg 7505            Fax: 027-21-938 0456
South Africa
Internet: [log in to unmask]