CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1996

Sender:
From:
"Dr. Gordon Warren" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 08:02:03 -0500
On May 1,  8:36am, Ulrich Seydel wrote:
> Subject: long-term labeling of live cells
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a way to label live cells and maintain the label for 48 -
> 72 hours. Previous experiments with PKH26 and fluroescein diacetate did not
> work well, because the dyes were lost before the conclusion of the
> experiment. Now we are looking for an alternative that has to fulfil the
> following criteria: 1.) it should be non-toxic for the cell and should not
> alter its metabolism and 2.) it should stay within the cell for at least 48
> hours.
> I know, it is a tall order, but I has anybody an idea?
> Thank you very much for your help.
>-- End of excerpt from Ulrich Seydel

Consider using DiI or DiO. It will label membranes exposed to the extracellular
space with minimal transfer to internal membranous systems. It has been used in
the study of neurons for a week or so, I believe. Consult Honig & Hume, J. Cell
Biol. 103:171-187 and Liu & Westerfield, J. Neurosci. 12:1859-1866, 1992.

--
Gordon L. Warren, Ph.D.
Muscle Biology Laboratory