CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1996

Sender:
From:
"Martin W. Wessendorf" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 10:42:17 CDT
In message  <[log in to unmask]> Aloisia Schmidt
writes:
>        Another question.  We are considering switching to a CD data
> storage system because it is so much cheaper.  Does anyone have any
> experience in comparing optical disks to CDs for storing large z-series of
> data, i.e., extremely large files?   I would be storing z-series of about
> 10 MB.  I know about not being able to edit CDs, but other than that?

One other question for the group: has anyone out there torture-tested a
recordable-CD diskette after it's been written?  Someone recently pointed out
that they lack the layer of varnish that protects commercial CD's.  Has anyone
left one out in the sun, or shown a laser at one, or stomped on one/scratched
one to see how well the data survive?

Martin Wessendorf