CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1996

Sender:
From:
Paul Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 11:14:20 -0700
One more comment on the geometry issue. One problem that we have
encountered on confocal is that images may look just fine and lead you to
believe that the images are accurate reflections of the "true" locations
of fluorochromes in the original image. In reality, they are at least as
vulnerable to bad optics as deconvolution. So called "Lensing" effects
and other distortion in the optical path (like spherical abberations)
will effect, sometimes greatly so, images collected on a confocal even
though the image "looks OK". This incidious nature of confocal can be
quite embarrasing when it is pointed out and most people are totally
unaware of it. I suggest you look at a bunch of fluorescent beads on top
of each other sometime.

Ciao, I'm sure we'll be talking more later.

Paul Goodwin
Image Analysis Lab
FHCRC, Seattle, WA

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Eric A. Shelden wrote:

> On Wed, 29 May 1996, Dennis McKearin wrote
> >         I am interested in learning the pro & cons of confocal vs
> > deconvolution methods of microscopy. Specifically, I wish to know how the

> Well, just to get things rolling on this thread, I'll put my $.02 in.
> Recognize that both technologies are in the process of evolution, so what

much deleted