CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1996

From:
Dean Waters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 16:51:16 -0700
** Note: the following is a posting by Applied Precision, Inc., manufacturer
of the DeltaVision deconvolution microscope system. **

One additional comment following the 'confocal vs. deconvolution' thread: it
is evident that both approaches have validity for modern applications of
microscopy. The suitability of one technique over another is difficult to
state in general terms. For either technique to be used effectively, care
must be taken to ensure that good images are being collected, and that the
abberations and limitations of optical physics are considered when
evaluating the final results.

In general, it is true that confocal can be better at penetrating very thick
and bright specimens. Also, it is an established technique with a large user
group of expert microscopists. Deconvolution is a relatively new approach
that has only recently become feasible (in terms of cost and computational
requirements) for most microscopists. As such, there is still a significant
amount of uncertainty regarding its capabilities. That said, deconvolution
is very suitable for nearly any type of specimen, especially those which are
dim, alive, or that require high resolution and multiple wavelength
investigation. Our approach to deconvolution microscopy fares well when
compared to confocal, yet we acknowledge confocal's power and appeal for
many users. We believe that our images (and system) speak for themselves.

We welcome further discussion of this subject in any format.

Dean Waters
DeltaVision Systems
Applied Precision, Inc.
8505 SE 68th Street