CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1996

From:
Fay Hansen-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 08:18:34 -0400
I would be interested in your opinion of the following issue.  It is
has been a policy here that graduate students receiving institutional
stipends are given responsibility for the oversight/maintenance of
specific research instruments, ie, usually spectrophotometers,
centrifuges, etc. It is now being suggested that our LSCM system (BioRad
600 and Codonics printer; no maintenance contract in place) be included in
the list of instruments
for which a student will be assigned as "primary care" person, including
training of new users.  Has anyone had experience with this type of
supervision and if so, has the arrangement been satisfactory?  I would
also be interested in hearing opions from those not having had such an
experience but "what if"....?   Your input is appreciated in advance.

Fay Hansen-Smith, Associate Professor
Dept. Biological Sciences
Oakland University
Rochester, MI 48309-4401