CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1996

From:
Farshid Guilak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 15:11:15 -0500
Volume calculations are relatively straightforward with the confocal
microscope when an excluded dye (e.g. fluorescein dextran) is introduced to
the media.  We published a technique for making these calculations from 3D
reconstructions.  The technique is fairly precise, although it is difficult
to assess its accuracy.  However, this method requires a volume set of at
least 15-20 slices.  Depending on the speed of your microscope,  it may not
be fast enough for your needs.  The articles are:

Guilak, F.  Volume and surface area measurement of viable chondrocytes in
situ using geometric modelling of serial confocal sections.  J Microsc
173:245-256, 1994.

Guilak, F. Ratcliffe, A. Mow VC.  Chondrocyte deformation and local tissue
strain in articular cartilage:  A confocal microscopy study. J Orthop Res
13:410-421, 1995.

Farshid Guilak