CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1996

From:
Peter Klaren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Klaren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 08:24:35 +0100
> Anyone knows how to coat the coverslips with Cell-Tak solution and what's the
> optimum concentration to use.

The blood smear technique (described on page 6 of Cell-Tak's
manufacturer's intructions) worked well with my intestinal crypts.
Cell-Tak recommends to start with a coating density of 20 micrograms
per standard microscope slide, or an amount that you have determined
to be suitable for your cells. Add 1/4 volume of 2 M sodium
carbonate to an appropriate volume of Cell-Tak (you'll see bubbles in
the solution) and spread the solution over the slide using a second
slide. Let the slides air dry, and rinse with water to get rid of the
sodium carbonate. Cells can be applied immediately, or you can store
the (air-dry) slides at 4 oC.

It is also my experience that cells from a G-3 rat kidney mesangial
cell line and NTERA4 embryonic carcinoma cells easily attached to
_untreated_ glass coverslips. Coverslips can be stored in ethanol and
sterilized quickly in a flame before introducing them to the cell
culture.

Peter

Peter H.M. Klaren                      email: [log in to unmask]
Department of Biomedical Science       phone: +44 114 2824633
University of Sheffield                  fax: +44 114 2765413
Western Bank
Sheffield S10 2TN
England