CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1996

From:
Jim Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 08:56:52 -0700
Alice,
We've been using CDs for a while with reasonable success. Our only problem
is that the software on Unix systems seems to have lagged considerably
behind Mac and PC platforms. The software bundled with our Pinnacle 5040
doesn't even have a graphical interface...

Also, every software package I've seen (on each platform) tries to do
everything you could ever want with a CD. I wish these software developers
would realize that not everyone needs to be able to write audio, multimedia,
etc. Just optimize the single/multi session data transfer and forget the
other stuff. They'd probably call it "Lite" though...

Jim

At 11:34 AM 5/29/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Group,
>
>       Another question.  We are considering switching to a CD data
>storage system because it is so much cheaper.  Does anyone have any
>experience in comparing optical disks to CDs for storing large z-series of
>data, i.e., extremely large files?   I would be storing z-series of about
>10 MB.  I know about not being able to edit CDs, but other than that?
>
>                                                      Alice Schmid
>
>--
>Aloisia Schmid
>Howard Huges Medical Institute/Morrill Hall
>University of Illinois
>505 S. Goodwin Ave, 618 Morrill Hall
>Urbana, IL 61801
>Email: [log in to unmask]

/
/ Jim Newberry, Applied Precision, Inc., Mercer Island, WA
/ DeltaVision Development Team
/ Applied Precision Web Site: http://www.api.com
/