CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1997

From:
Ed Monberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 01:38:01 -0700
>Interestingly, Apple Corp. appears to have decided to buy NeXt Step, so
>UNIX may be on the verge of either
>        (i) gaining an 50 million new users; or
>        (ii) going bust altogether along with Apple (I hope not!!!!!).
>
>Badri Roysam

Through the Perifocal Business Scope:
You read, saw, and heard it here:

I predict that Power Computing, with faster and more interesting hardware,
now with BeOS, with better pricing, will become the rising star, and THEN
it will support both Be + NEXT on its future platforms while Apple slowly
fades under the shadow of Sun, Sgi and other UNIX (nee' NEXT) platforms
with more performance/$.

I also predict that the BeOS, which loads in 10 seconds or so, has memory
protection, and some wonderful "Close-to-real-time" behavior which will
attract hoardes of imaging, and machine process developers who would like a
nice human interface with their real-time event control software, may show
up on the front ends of one or two confocals.

Place your bets,
Save this note,
and check back with me in 12 months !

Cheers, Ed