CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1997

From:
Tracy Richmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:40:20 -0800
Hi Stephen,

I have a few questions for you about your calibration problem.
I use an MRC-600 so I'm assuming the photon counting mode is the
same with the 1000.

(1)  What is the range of greylevels you are working with?  You mentioned
that it is not the full 8-bit range but what is it exactly?  Are you able
to use the same range to calibrate (with the InSpeck beads)?

(2)Can the reduced sensitvity - not in detection but in quantification -
of the photon counting mode be a problem?  e.g.  Say the signal from
the beads ranges from 0 - 50 greylevels and you create 9 bins using photon
counting.  You have effectively reduced your dynamic range from 51 to 9
greylevels and the quantization may mask the actual diffrences in
intensity (I) among the beads.  I'm sure there is some range of I among
the beads in a particular calibration sample and if this range is
close to the number of greylevels in each of your bins OR if the error
is biased in one direction (most of the intensities are higher than
the mean in one sample and most are lower than the mean in the next),
the quantization may amplify the error.

(3)  What type of curve do you get with the beads?  Is it exponential
or does it simply max out before you expect it to?

-Tracy

Tracy Richmond McKnight                 email:  [log in to unmask]
Department of Human Physiology          TEL:    (916) 752-5584
School of Medicine, MS-1A               FAX:    (916) 752-5423
University of California
Davis, CA 95616